Monday, June 6, 2011

Strike A Pose


I'm either camera shy or just have a big ego and can't stand bad photos of myself, but I'm almost never in pictures. However, since being pregnant, I find myself coming out from behind the camera more often to allow myself to be the subject of a photograph.

Last night, I met up with some relatives for dinner. I felt like dressing up, so slipped into a black dress that flattered the belly, adorned myself with some accessories and took the time to put make up on. When I got to the restaurant and saw my aunt for the first time since being pregnant... she said, "You're having a girl, aren't you?!" I asked how she knew, and she replied, "You look pretty, that's how I know! When you don't feel like fussing with how you look, it's a boy. When you spend time making yourself look pretty, it's a girl."

Well, I don't know how true that is, there seems to be a million beliefs about how to tell whether a baby in the belly is a boy or a girl... but I will say that I've been more willing to take my self portraits since being pregnant. And of course, one has to look nice for the camera (or at least look decent)... so I do find myself spending time grooming and I do feel beautiful being pregnant... more beautiful than I have felt in a while.

As a photographer, I am passionate about taking photos to offer people memories frozen in time that they can keep forever. However, I didn't give myself that gift... until I became pregnant - I didn't want to miss out on memories from carrying my first baby! I hope my new-found courage in being the subject of photographs will stay with me post-pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment