Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cracked


I went for a photo walk with a friend this evening and killed two birds with one stone; metaphorically, of course - hung out with one of my best girlfriends, Anne, and went hunting for my photo of the day.

Anne told me about this sculpture in the middle of a concrete park in Yaletown. I've been to that park a couple of times, but not recently... so haven't seen this sculpture before. It is a bit odd, a bit creepy... but it also does what a piece of good art should do - get you thinking.

It seems like a sculpture of a man, but somehow it reminded me of Lady Liberty. It made me think of having gone through some hard times, ones that leave you cracked and falling apart... but it also made me think of being held together by whatever source of support one can muster.

I read somewhere recently that as women, we have an advantage on health... that spending time with our girlfriends is like exercising. We relieve just as much stress talking to our gal pals when we talk about our frustrations, stresses and how we feel. The article also said that the best thing a man can do for his health is to have a woman in his life.

What unstitches you? What holds you together?

* I also think that sometimes, it is good to let oneself get undone... a good opportunity to put oneself back together a bit (or a lot) differently than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment