Monday, May 2, 2011

Vancouver Public Library


Today was election day. I wanted to post a photo of the voting center I went to, encouraged by the fact that it was busy. According to one of the volunteers, other than a short lull just before noon, there has been a steady stream of people showing up to vote all day. However, no photography was allowed in the voting center... bummer!

I had to pick up a few items at the grocery store, so I made a detour up Robson St. to IGA. On the way home, despite carrying a bag of fairly heavy groceries and it being very wet out as it has been raining for most of the day, I was drawn to walk into the courtyard of the Vancouver Public Library.

Stepping in immediately took me back to my university days, to the odd times that I had been at the library. It wasn't so much studying there that I remembered, but how cool I thought this place was. I remembered that I was more excited for the breaks that I gave myself between studying, because I just loved checking out all the shops along the courtyard and sitting there enjoying some food or coffee. Did you know there's even a flower shop?! It felt as if I was in Europe somewhere, although I had to daydream people around me to be enjoying themselves instead of stressing over their schoolwork... but daydreaming was something I was good at, so that wasn't a problem at all. I will admit, I was an easily distracted student back then!

Despite not having spent a lot of time at the library, it definitely is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city for me. It is one of my favourite places, I think it inspires me with it's beauty... it encourages me to imagine more than what my eyes can see.

Do you have a place that does that for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment