Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hypnobabies!


I'm not sure when I started thinking of this, but I believe it was before I even knew I was pregnant... I wanted to explore my options with more natural birthing, i.e. midwifery, home or water birth, etc. However, when I did get pregnant... we were in the midst of looking for a new family doctor.

With a referral from a friend, we managed to find a great general practitioner who specializes in obstetrics. The only thing was, she was only accepting new patients to her practice if she provides the prenatal care and assist in the birth of the baby. It is important to me that we have a family doctor after we have our baby, so we decided to go with her and let go of our original plan to explore more natural options. I believe it was the right decision for us, although I was a bit bummed about letting go of a possibly more empowering birthing experience.

When I heard about the Hypnobabies prenatal course at my chiropractor's clinic, I got excited! I looked into it and consulted with Crystal Di Domizio, an instructor of the course... and decided that it was the perfect way in which I can incorporate the more natural aspect of birthing into my birth experience.

I want my birth experience to be empowering, not feeling like a helpless patient at the mercy of the medical professionals and drugs to treat me of my "condition."

I can imagine that many of you women who may be reading my blog have gone through giving birth to a child, and for some... it may not have been a pleasant experience, for some the medical staff had been very helpful and the medical interventions may have been desired. I want you all to know that I say everything I've said above with all due respect to every woman's individual and unique birth experience. I am simply sharing what I would like mine to be like. As part of getting to how I want my birth experience to be like, I would like to hear of only positive and empowering birthing stories, so please save the "horror" stories of birthing for at least until after I have had my own birthing experience.

Tonight, we had our first of six sessions of Hypnobabies classes. It was great to meet the other couples, although I'm still having a hard time remembering everybody's names - I think I can remember four of them. I'm sure I will eventually get everyone's names right by the end of the course. We were given great information and I love all the relaxation exercises - even Sean enjoyed them!

Thanks, Crystal... looking forward to the next session!

1 comment:

  1. Really excited to have both you and Sean in class! Looking forward to spending the next 6 weeks with you! You're going to love Hypnobabies :)

    ReplyDelete