Friday, November 25, 2011

Lunch With The Ladies



Today, Maddi and I have a ladies luncheon to go to! It was to celebrate Grandma McMillen's birthday. We started out being on schedule, but in the last 10 minutes, we got delayed by a poopy diaper.

I showered as Maddi went back to sleep after her first couple of feedings in the morning. Then I managed to get out and finish getting ready just as she was waking up! I gave her a bath and got her dressed. Then, I had a one-handed breakfast as I nursed her one last time before we headed out. We were right on schedule. Then, I strapped her in the car seat - which is on the top of her "most un-favourite things to do" list. Then, I hear her go for a number two in her diaper! So I took her out of the car seat and changed her. I guess she was hungry after having gone to the bathroom, so I nursed her again. By this time, it was when I was supposed to meet Great Grandma, Grandma McMillen and Auntie Julie at the restaurant and we are just getting out the door. Sigh. 'Tis, the life with a baby... but I'm not complaining! She is most adorable!

At the restaurant, there was a waitress who was very excited to be expecting her first grandchild. So, she really wanted to meet Maddi. Maddi was nursing when she first came to see her, then Grandma took her to see the waitress after she was done nursing. The waitress ended up taking Maddi and something in me just wasn't comfortable with a stranger holding my baby. I couldn't articulate how I felt at the time and wasn't sure if I was over-reacting. Maddi was also not happy while with the waitress. I let it be for a little while, but was on the edge of my seat and really wanting to go get my baby back. After waiting a couple of minutes, the waitress didn't bring Maddi back to me despite her crying the whole time she was with her. With a little nudge from Great Grandma, I went to take Maddi back. A little crying can't harm a baby physically, but I can't stand the thought of Maddi feeling helpless when she is not where she wants to be. My mother's instinct kicks in and I just want to hold her; I wanted let her know everything's going to be okay, and that she can feel safe because I'm here to take care of her.

Wow, I've never felt this way, this intensely for anybody before. I think it is a wonderful way to feel and I love being a mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment