Sunday, November 6, 2011

Poor Boo


Poor little Boo probably had a gassy belly last night. She normally feeds for 20 minutes each time but last night she would only feed for 5 to 10 minutes at a time and would latch off and cry. She seemed hungry but wouldn't take the breast when I offer it, she looked frustrated and would cry. She's such  good baby, so far she has only cried when she's hungry, cold or gassy. So I figured she had a tummy ache from being gassy. I rubbed clockwise circles on her belly and lifted her knees to her belly like how Alicia showed me, but that didn't seem to help relieve her last night.

I called the newborn hotline to see if there's anything else I could try, but they didn't really have anything different I could try. The nurse at the other end of the line said that at two weeks, babies start to take in more milk and could have reflux. Also, colic usually shows up around this time, although breastfed babies don't normally become colicky. She suggested that I make an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.

It is heartbreaking to hear her cry like that. It's true what they say about a parent's love; you would wish you were in pain if only that could take the pain away from your child. Til this point, whenever she cried, I knew how to meet her need and comfort her. When I knew what was wrong with her but can't seem to help her, I felt helpless. I never got the baby blues, but I sure got emotional watching her be in such pain tonight.

Maddi slept on my chest for the first half of the night for some comfort, then between mama & daddy on our bed for the second half of the night. I think it did the trick and she still slept through most of the night, getting up only once to feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment