Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Hug From Oliver

 

Today, Maddi had another rough morning. She woke up at 4am to feed, but got frustrated when she had trouble latching. She got so worked up, she wouldn't even take the other breast, nor a bottle. After an hour, she eventually fell asleep on my shoulder while I was trying to comfort her. Fifteen minutes later, she woke up again, but still wouldn't take either breast or a bottle. I think she might've even given herself gas pains from crying so much. I gave her a tube of the Cocyntal drops - that seemed to calm her shortly after I gave it to her. I decided to pump, thinking that perhaps the breasts were too full that the milk was flowing a little too quickly for her and that's what's upsetting her. She fell asleep before I had a chance to offer her the breast after pumping, so I just climbed back into bed and decided to have her sleep beside me.

When Maddi woke up again at 6.10am, she was a lot calmer, she didn't have trouble latching and nursed like a champ! She drained my left breast and that relieved me of the pain from building up a lot of milk... also while I have mastitis! Thank you, Maddi!

Maddi fell back asleep after feeding for over 20 minutes. I debated whether I should sleep some more with her or take this time to shower and get ready for the day. I deliberated for a while since I was feeling tired from the ordeal earlier this morning. However, I decided to hop in the shower and get ready for the day since we are checking out the Parent-Infant Drop In at the Roundhouse today. Anne and Cat's friend Crystal had her baby about the same time I had Maddi, and she goes to that drop-in. So I was looking forward to meeting her as well.

Maddi woke up at 9.40am. I fed her, changed her diaper, dressed her. It seemed like we were going to be on time, but then I misjudged how hungry Miss Maddi was. She fed for again, and by the time we got there, we were an hour late!

This week's topic was storytelling. They had the librarian come and facilitate today's drop-in. Maddi was asleep for most of it, but there was some interesting songs that I learned there which I can do with Maddi at home.

I met Crystal, but didn't really meet many other moms there. In some ways, it was similar to the one on Commercial & Broadway, but in other ways it was quite different. I think the difference is the people - not that one is better than the other. The moms at the Commercial and Broadway one seemed a little more down-to-earth and relaxed, whereas the moms at the Roundhouse were well, stereotypical Yaletown moms - most of them in great shape, very put together and spiffy strollers parked outside the room. I'm not judging, I'm just sharing what my first impressions are. I do feel more at ease at the Commercial and Broadway one. However, I will continue to go to the one at the Roundhouse, just to give it a fair try, since I haven't really met many of the moms there and the couple that I met were quite friendly. It's also a big bonus that it is so close to our house and what a great opportunity to meet moms in my area. Plus, now I know Crystal. Monica, a mom I met last week at the Commercial and Broadway one also lives in the area and wanted to check out the Roundhouse drop-in next week.

I also met the nurse that runs these drop-ins, and she showed me a new position to breastfeed that might help Maddi with her gas issues. Maddi is to sit upright, straddle one of my legs and feed that way. I've never seen that position before; but if it helps Maddi with her gas, I'll try it!

In the afternoon, we also got a visit from Auntie Nicole and Oliver. In this photo, Oliver is giving Maddi a hug before they say goodbye. Sooo adorable!

After Nicole and Oliver left, I headed out to meet another photographer that I'm buying some baby photography props from at the Yaletown skytrain station. Then, I decided that since Maddi is napping in the car seat, I would have some "me" time at Urban Fare and get caught up on my blog and photo postings to Facebook.

Tonight, I gave Maddi the bottle but she did not like it at all. Later tonight, I decided to give her the bottle after she's fed a bit from the breast. It worked! She was at least wanting it... but she didn't quite get the hang of it yet. She's still figuring it out... although she took .75 oz from the bottle tonight. Tomorrow, we shall try again. Good night for now, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment