Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Labour Boost


I didn't know labour could last days?!

After a few hours of sleep, I woke Alicia up at around 3am to help me through some pressure waves (contractions) that were becoming more intense. I could move and sleep through a lot of the ones I was getting yesterday; but today, I pretty much have to stop and lean over something when they come. So I thought, "This is definitely the day!"

Although getting more intense, the pressure waves I was getting were still irregular in frequency. By early afternoon, Alicia thought it would be a good idea to go for a walk to get things going. With my coconut juice and some nuts for snacking on hand, Sean, Alicia and I got ready and went for a stroll along the seawall. The walk definitely got things going again. On the walk, my pressure waves were every five minutes! However, as soon as we got home, they tapered off again. We went for a shorter walk across the street later in the afternoon to pick up some sushi and udon for dinner, then we called Dr. Wenner to give her an update.

Dr. Wenner asked me to meet her at the hospital, so she can check on me and have confidence to let me keep labouring at home. I took a last minute shower while Sean and Alicia packed the car with our hospital stuff, in case we had to stay.

We make it to the hospital at around 9pm. I was only 3cm dilated, and was sent home to continue labouring at home. We got home around midnight. By this time, my back was really sore. Alicia went home to rest for the night and left me with her Tens machine to help me cope with the soreness on my back. I put them on; they were wonderful in between the pressure waves, but I believe they were intensifying the pressure waves... and I did not like them at all during one.

No comments:

Post a Comment