Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Journey Begins Today


Active labour started soon after I was sent home from the hospital, and I believe the Tens machine had a part to play in bringing it on.

By 2am, the pressure waves were so intense I couldn't sleep. Without Alicia coaching me and reminding me of the Hypnobabies tools I have at my disposal, it was challenging for me to cope with them after two days of labour. However, I knew I needed Alicia the next day more than any other time, so I wanted her to take the night to rest and tried my best at focusing on what we've learned in our classes. Listening to the tracks non-stop as I tried to sleep distracted me from the intensity of the pressure waves and brought some peace and focus.

By 6am, I absolutely needed Alicia. I called her and she came within 15 minutes. It was such a relief to know she was there. Sean tried his best to assist and support me, but Alicia was such a comfort to have around with the wealth of knowledge she has and the invaluable gift she has to support in all the right ways, anticipating all my needs before I even have to open my mouth and ask. She was there for me physically and emotionally, I felt as though I have made a good friend over two days.

By about 8am, I got the urge to push. Alicia called Dr. Wenner and we rushed to the hospital. Good thing the car was mostly packed from our trip to the hospital the night before because we certainly did not have a lot of time this morning. It took me two days to get to active labour and when I finally got the urge to push, I now have to try my best to hold her in. Feather breathing... all the way to the birthing room.

When we got to the hospital at 9am, I was fully dilated and plus 2. I was rushed to the birthing room and met Dr. Wenner there. After minutes of pushing with my Pushing Baby Out track playing on my iPhone right beside me, Maddi was born at 10.12am, weighing 6lbs 9oz, and 50in long.

Dr. Wenner was super impressed with how the birth went; she said, "I've never seen a birth like yours!" Without any drugs, and especially without any tears, plus the fact that I pretty much hopped out of the birthing bed within minutes after... she couldn't believe it and became really curious about Hypnobabies, asking us all about it.

Special thanks to team Maddi:
Sukhi Muker - chiropractic care which I believe gave me the most perfect pregnancy
Crystal Di Domizio - prenatal coach, for showing us birthing the Hypnobabies way
Sonia Tan - acupuncture for strengthening my body for birthing and natural induction when I was "overdue"
Dr. Wenner - our family doctor
Alicia Hoppenrath - our amazing doula, who was there for us more than I can put into words

Welcome to the world, sweetpea.

4 comments:

  1. Darling. So happy for you, Sea and Maddi. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww congratulations, beautiful birth story! Can't wait to meet sweet Maddi at our reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Jenny! Been an amazing journey and a new one is just beginning. Can't wait to check your little one. Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is: W O W !!! <3

    ReplyDelete