Monday, September 12, 2011

Chasing Dreams


This is a vision board I made with a group of friends last November. A couple of the things on the board have already come true for me! I am just weeks away from meeting my little girl, I've taken this year to explore my creativity by starting an artist group with a few of my friends and getting a membership at the art gallery; I've also taken this year to search my heart, mind and soul by keeping up with this blog and openly sharing; and I've cultivated my smart parts by going back to school. Although I've added fuel to my passion for photography by going to the Image Explorations workshop this summer; now, I feel that the time has come for photography to take center stage in my focus.

My brother, who grew up being generally shy and quiet... has unexpectedly become one of the most inspiring people in my life. I love talking to him about dreams and going after them... he is one of the most driven, disciplined and ambitious people I know. I think he and my dad share more similarities than they both want to admit. =)

Tonight, I had a chat with my brother on Facebook. I told him I really need to use the time during my upcoming maternity leave wisely. It is my opportunity to figure out what I want to do with my career - whether I move forward with a secure future in accounting, or venture into the world of entrepreneurship and give my best to building a career in photography.

I have demons to slay in my head when it comes to photography - insecurities I need to get over, fears that I simply need to overcome by jumping in with both feet. I told him I've hesitated pouring financial resource into photography because I didn't want to make my family (Sean and now Maddi, too) suffer because I've misjudged photography for a worthy investment. Then even when my parents had offered to financially support my venture, I didn't want to waste their generous gift, so I was going about it really slowly. However, I now think that perhaps half-assing it is actually preventing me from making it. So maybe, I should just take their generous gift and give it my best shot. According to my brother's encouraging wise words, "Yes... GO, GO, GO... in a big way!"

I need to go after my dreams, if I'm going to be convincing when I tell Maddi one day that she should go after hers. For this, I am grateful to have people in my life that are willing to support me in whatever way they can so I can have the opportunity to chase after my dreams.

How did I get so lucky to have such awesome people in my family?!

No comments:

Post a Comment