Friday, September 30, 2011

Saying Goodbye Is Hard To Do


Today's post deserved two photos. This is my desk just before I boxed up all my personal effects. =(

Although we've moved offices throughout my time in the company, I've had the same desk for most of that time and had worked on making my corner of the world where I spent 40 hours a week (and more, I'm sure) as cozy as I can. I do love my space and it's been home to me for a long time. I am pretty particular with things and yes, I can tell when somebody's been at my desk while I'm on vacation. It wasn't easy cleaning this desk up and seeing it empty when I left the office tonight.

I will miss this place and the characters I worked with - Harvey, the most interesting of them all! I kid you not, he is the human version of Brian from Family Guy! Gil, the coffee expert who occasionally blurts out curse words in German or some other European language when he gets frustrated (actually, he confessed that sometimes, they're not real words... just gibberish). Bob, he's basically been my work husband since Stephen and Amy left. There are others in the department, and I will miss you all!

It was also great for our bankers from across the border to come up for a visit and take us out for lunch. Alan, it was so awesome to see you and thanks for accommodating me and scheduling your visit on such short notice so that I can come along for lunch on my last day.

Gil stayed until I was done so I can give him my computer and office keys. He helped me take my boxes of personal stuff to my car and as I hugged him goodbye in the parking lot, his last words to me were, "you're right in the few seconds where you step into that portal as you end one chapter of your life right into a new one." It's so true!

With those words in my head, I drove away and bawled as I crossed the Lions' Gate bridge in the usual traffic that it comes with. I didn't want to look like a mental case to the drivers of the other cars beside me; also, Sean and I went to the BC Lions game tonight and I didn't want to be a mess when I got home, considering we had to hurry to get to the game... so that helped to keep the floodgates from letting everything out.

Below is the email I sent out to the company to bid everyone farewell:
Dear Peak family,

Donna knows I’m not a morning person AT ALL. For years, I have had a hard time getting up in the mornings to get to work; but today, I was up before 5.30am and got into the office by 7.30am - last day jitters?!

It has been a wild ride of tremendous growth and fond memories for me in my time here of almost 8 years. I don’t know what life would look like if I never came across this company and the wonderful people in it, past and present. Everything happens for a reason, and I believe I’m a better person and life is better today because of my journey with Peak. I have made many good friends throughout this journey, and although I will miss working with you all… I hope to keep in touch. Harvey, I will miss you most! =)

The thought of leaving this place has been a source of great struggle for me the past couple of months, and now it’s here. It’s hard to let go when you have “control issues” - haha. It was heartbreaking to piece out my tasks to different people in the department, when I’ve put so much pride and effort in my work and it’s been my “baby”. Also, for a long time, this has been the life I know and today feels sort of like “leaving the nest.” But now, the time has come when I have to make room in my life for a real baby and embrace the adventures of a new chapter in my life journey - exciting, but also… YIKES!

I have kept a blog since February 1st this year, where I take pictures daily and put up a post each day with a picture of the day and a little blurb. It would be a good way to keep up-to-date with me and my world… http://www.365daysofalchemy.blogspot.com. Once Maddi arrives, I’ll most likely start another 365 days blog of her and will provide a link to it on my current blog.

Best wishes to all of you, namaste.

With all my love,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment