Thursday, September 22, 2011

Quest For Happiness


I really hate how depressed I've been feeling lately. Especially because I am truly excited about Maddi's arrival, yet somehow this depression is over-shadowing my excitement. Damn pregnancy hormones! I was determined to get out of this emotional rut, so was consciously (and unconsciously) working hard to overcome it. In my quest for happiness... the universe came back with three answers.

First Answer:

Yesterday, I ended my day with a Skype chat. I was telling a friend how I don't understand why I feel so depressed about leaving work. If I want my job, it'll be there for me when my maternity leave ends. If I don't go back to work, it's because I have a better alternative. So why am I so upset about leaving?! Thinking things through logically usually puts things into perspective when I'm being emotional, so this definitely helped.


Second Answer:

Today, I stumbled upon a picture on Facebook that a friend had shared a link to. There was a write-up on what the picture was about. It was a mother who used her body as a shield to protect her 3-month-old baby from their collapsing house during the big earthquake in Japan not too long ago. Her body was crushed and therefore died, but her baby was miraculously alive. There was a cell phone in the baby's basket that had a text saying "If you can survive, you must remember that I love you."

I don't know if these stories that circulate online are real... but nevertheless, this one had a message for me. It put into perspective my grieving for leaving the work life in just a little over a week. It tells me that I will love Maddi so much, I would be more than okay to give up the life I've always known to embrace my new life with her in it.


Third Answer:

As I was leaving work today, I packed up some of my personal items to take home. And among those was my Soul Coaching Oracle card deck. When I got home, I pulled a card out of the deck. I got "Gratitude" - it reminded me that gratitude is the secret to a joy-filled life. If I find what's good and wonderful in every moment, I can experience happiness and peace.

So, whenever I have the urge to feel sad, I can just look down at my belly and be reminded that I can't wait to meet and snuggle with my precious baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment